Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dr. Manmohan Singhji, 12.09.2009
The Prime Minister of India
New Delhi.

Dear Dr. Singhji,
Namaskar

Subject: Selection to the post of Chairperson, National Trust in the Ministry of SJ&E
Reference: 1. D.O.No.1-15/2008-DD-IV, Dated on 16.01.2009
2. My Letter to the two Ministers of the Ministry, Dated on 27.07.2009
3. My letter to Mr. Mukul Wasnik, Union Minister, Dated on 10.08.2009
4. My letter to Shri. K. M. Acharya, IAS, Secretary of the Ministry, Dated on
28.08.2009

I am happy that you are leading the country for the second time and I see a real bright future for the country in the next 5 years under your stewardship. I appreciate your values of governance at every level. However, in some situations the real penetration of the values of governance is not that significant which is a concern for people like us and we feel it is our responsibility to share this concern with you for necessary improvement in the delivery system. I would like to reiterate that it’s not a complaint that I would like to make but a contribution to the better performance in the Government in certain cases where - “Action delayed is action diluted”.

I would like to bring to your attention a typical instance of inordinate delay in deciding a very important aspect of governance in the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.

I am happy to inform you that the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment had invited me as a candidate for an interaction with Search Committee at the Planning Commission for the selection of Chairperson of National Trust of the Ministry in January 2009 (Reference No.1).

I am happy that the selection process was strong and reflected meritorious process. In the meantime, the general elections and formation of new government have understandably contributed to the delay in announcing the outcome. Having waited for almost 6 months to know the outcome of the interaction that I have had with the Search Committee in January, I had written to the two Ministers in the Ministry (on 27th July 2009) to facilitate the matter. Fortunately, the Senior Minister had the courtesy to call me up and tell that the system would take its own course and the decision. I had also requested the Secretary of the Ministry to facilitate the matter through the good offices of the Senior Minister (on 28th August 2009).

The point I am trying to drive home is that the process of working on a particular issue or subject is more important than the content. The unexplained delay (Dangerous, Enormous Loss and Apathetic Yield) brings discredit to the functioning of the Public Institutions. I am not writing this letter to seek opportunity for myself but to share the concern for the credibility for the functioning of the public institution in an objective and responsive manner. I shall therefore, request you to arrange to facilitate such an important decision making process even at the smallest level in the Government so that the faith in the Government gets enhanced among the ordinary citizens like me of the country.

Thanking you and best regards
Sincerely Yours


SWAMY KAMALA MANOHAR

No comments:

Post a Comment